We held our annual Canada Day celebration on Friday, June 29th with 67 members and several special guests. We were both honoured and delighted to have City of Victoria councillor Chris Coleman and his wife Judith, as well as our Member of the Legislative Assembly, Carole James, in attendance. Sally Orr of Amica at Douglas House came to volunteer in the kitchen.
The afternoon started with a performance by Vic Gnaedinger singing songs of every province and ending with our national anthem. Lunch consisted of sandwiches, freshly smoked salmon, a variety of salads, a vegetable platter and shrimp. Canada Day cake and Rice Crispy treats were served for desert. After lunch we were entertained by our very own Hawai'ian hula dancers.
A special thank-you to our many volunteers who helped in the kitchen and throughout the afternoon; we would also like to express our appreciation to the following donors:
· Thrifty Foods James Bay for the delicious cake
· The Victoria at McKenzie for the platter of sandwiches
· Amica at Douglas House for the two platters of sandwiches
· Jesse McCullough for the delicious smoked salmon
· Krista Conrod for the yummy Rice Crispy treats